Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Pitcher Perfect!

 I saw this great idea in a UK embroidery and stitch magazine and just had to get creative and share with you today!

This is a fairly easy quick project to make a fabric pitcher to cover a jar and have your very own bespoke flower pitcher for any room in your home!


Here's what you'll need:

any clean glass jar
2 pieces of stiff fabric such as burlap or unwashed felted wool which fit around the jar plus extra
fabric for applique
threads for cross stitch and embroidery.

Cut your stiff fabric so that the height is about half an inch taller than the jar.
Next cut the spout shape\side out of the fabric
Find the middle of one side and appliqué on your chosen motif or cross stitch on a flower etc.
Pin these pieces right sides together and sew up.
Now cut two strips of stiff fabric for the handle and sew together.
Below is a picture of how it should look when finished, laying flat.

Fold down the top part of the handle and sew on firmly to the side of the pitcher. Repeat for the bottom part of the handle.

To finish the top edge and prevent ravelling, I used a blanket stitch on the edge.



This is my felt primitive pitcher version and in this one I added a doubled over piece of cotton fabric for interest.
I love blue and stars so I kept it simple with this appliqué!

 Here you can see how the handle is attached and how I added the coordinating fabric.


Now isn't that pitcher perfect?!! A pretty flower pitcher holder you can make for spring!




Once again I thank you each one for your visit and kind comments!
You make my day!

Im linking once again with Stephanie at


Check out the great bloggers there!

Best wishes


18 comments:

  1. I love those. What a nead idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. Such a unique idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ~Michelle ^_^
    Delightful Handwork

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if that isn't just darling! I love the primitive look.
    Great job!
    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea, it really is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow beautiful work!!! I like your blog!!
    Would you like to follow each other?
    I follow you now!! I'm very happy if you do the same....
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea! Will have to do this one too! Love it! Visiting from ROI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine, this is adorable! I am so in love with the pitcher :) Thanks for sharing your cleverness with Roses of Inspiration - it's always a joy to have you at the party. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I must give this a try. I have never seen this type of picture before and if mine turns out, I will have to make my aunt one also. I already know it. lol.
    Love it!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is such a cute idea, I love the star one with the use of the different fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fabric pitcher - now THAT is one of the neatest ideas I've seen of late! I especially love the prim looking one with the star!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Original and beautiful !!!!
    Thanks for your visit !
    Have a nice evening !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute and it's just perfect for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! Yours turned out so pretty! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a lovely job on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, my friend! I just wanted to let you know that this beautiful post will be featured tomorrow at Roses of Inspiration. Thanks for joining the party. Happy hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!