Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Decorating the top of my Kitchen Cupboards

 Hi Folks! I don't know how the past few weeks slipped away on me but I'm only just getting back to my blog and thought I'd update you on what Ive been doing in my kitchen.


Above the wall cabinets there is a space up to the ceiling of a couple of feet.  I always felt it was a barren space that made the cupboards seem too low and the room out of proportion so I went on line to google images of what others had done and was duly inspired to group some objects with a bit of height to them in order to create a better feel and visual impact.  I just did the best I could with the prims I have about the house... as someone said, 'just shop the house'! and that's what I did.  It took some time and lots of trial and error.

One of my worries was that the kitchen might then feel cluttered and 'coming in' on itself so I was careful only to group in threes.

Another worry was that it would end up looking as if I had run out of storage space in the cupbaords and was resorting to stacking things up there out of the way.  So I decided to use objects that were not necessarily related to kitchen use ie.antique kitchen scales would be great but then I thought up there they would be lost and ineffective.

So here's what I came up with~

 I think the photos make it look sparsely done but any more stuff up there looks cluttered when it gets darker in the evenings.
I used these jars and a black checker board behind to help them stand out more and just a little vine of pip berry to soften the edge and add texture
Just added the dried hydrangea to soften this basket and break up the color block.


 Now I did read on an interior design blog that greenery on top of your kitchen cabinets is a big 'no-no' but I really like the extra height and pop of green this faux plant lends to this end of the cabinets.

 To the right as you enter the kitchen there is another smaller section of wall cabinets and here is the display on top
 Opposite that on the otherside of the main kitchen window is a single cupboard and I grouped some americana prims there as that would be one of my favorite styles!!
 The archway leadind to the family area and my stars up there too!

 So there you have it and just one last tip - put sheets of old newspaper on top of the cupboards to catch the dust etc and then change them as need be! Saves a lot of time scrubbing those grimy cupboards come spring!

Pleased to be linking with Stephanie's

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a blessed week!



23 comments:

  1. Beautiful kitchen and lovely decorations!
    Have a wonderful Spring!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your groupings! I normally have some things on top of our cupboards too but I packed it all away while we are trying to sell our house.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip about the newspaper on top of the cabinet,Christine, I hadn't thought of that one,great tip.
    I think your cabinets looks good. Less is more, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip about the newspaper. I love how you have grouped your decorations, it looks really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Christine, absolutely great tip about the newspaper, hadn't thought of that, but I'm certainly going to do my upper cabinets ( I have that space above mine as well ) I have some stuff up there, but now I'm inspired by yours to redo mine. God Bless have a great day and oh I think it looks great, I love the Americana, one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Davvero una buona e bella idea,tutto è più armonioso!
    Un abbraccio
    Letizia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Pretty! it gives the eye something to look at and its not cluttered. you have a beautiful kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fab - well done. And great advice about the newspaper - thank you!!

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your groupings, they look great. Awesome idea with the newspaper too. I have one wall that has cupboards with the open space above. I have birdhouses lined up all along the top

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your things look very pretty and not at all as though you have run out of space! I hope you enjoy the results of your changes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your groupings look terrific, I myself am a clutter person, I have things all along the top of my cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your groupings too. Such a nice kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice , I like it all!
    I have been putting newspapers up on mine for about 3 years. It really helps with the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had never heard about the newspapers or the greenery.
    I have that look in my laundry room, my cabinets go to the ceiling but I wish I had them lower now.
    Just so I could reach them. I always enjoy playing house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine, your kitchen is lovely, prim perfect for sure. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice blog, follow for follow?

    www.trendyytimes.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let's follow eachother. Please come and follow me . and leave a comment about following and your blog address. I will come back immadiately and folllow you back. If you like my facebook page, also I can like yours.

    http://ciziyorumdikiyorum.blogspot.com.tr/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for following me . I am following you too

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL!!! What a lovely kitchen! We have an old country kitchen, our cabinets go all the way to the top. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your kitchen cabinets look lovely, my friend! I love the simplicity and charm. Thank you for sharing your beauty with Roses of Inspiration. I love having you link up. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks great Christine, love the newspaper idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Christine, its so nice to meet you. Lovely kitchen and cabinets. I like to place things on top of my cabinets. Years ago I bought a number of wooden painted miniature homes that are replicas of Victorian homes all over the US. They look beautiful lining the tops of my cabinets as well as on top of the door frames.
    It was nice visiting with you and I look forward to following you.
    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!