Thursday, 3 October 2013

Whisked away by my broom!


Afternoon, friends, glad you called back for a flying visit today as we are talking brooms !!
Not the witchy variety though! 
Yes as you can see I got me a whisk broom, something I've long wished for to add a touch more prim to my home.
Now to make it more prim: well I'd searched for ideas and have to give credit and thanks to Melissa of Cornbread and Beans Quilting blog for her tutorial and free printable label which I used!
Click HERE to go to her tutorials page and scroll through them. There are lots of great ideas!

 And here it is! I was nervous about printing on fabric but was so, so thrilled when it came out of the printer and no mess or jammed printer! ( Hubby would've said, 'Told you so!)
 Love how it looks in the sleeve of dark orange homespun...

But I didn't stop there! Oh no! Here's where the witch brooms come in! I found these in our Poundland store which is equivalent to a Dollar Tree store among the Halloween decorations and knew they'd make a great whisk broom too!
First thing was to take out the poles and unwrap and then I gave it a haircut just to trim to size and give it more of a used broom look.

Next I wrapped them both together with wire and then covered the handle in jute twine and made a hang loop.
 Time to decorate and make it fit in with the fall decor - just another piece of homespun and some dried rose hips and sprig of green.

 Decided to hang it from my little shelf
And that spurred me on to finish the top of the shelf

Just without flash to give a warm glow .
You can see my post from yesterday  how to make the little burlap bag.


The nights are really drawing in so it's nice to light a candle or two in the evenings.
Hope you are all enjoying your week!
Best wishes,


14 comments:

  1. You just keep coming up w/more and more cute ideas for us Christine! What a clever idea and it looks darling w/your shelf!

    Prim hugs,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww so cute..I love brooms so much and your ones the truly so cute...
    Such a darling shelf..
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did! Brooms are just one of those things that call my name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea.
    Love the cover and brooms.
    Woolie Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your little brooms, especially the one you made from the dollar store.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH!! I LOVE what you did with those brooms! Especially the one that you completely remade.....now I am totally looking at my dollar store for something similar to do! :-D
    It looks SO prim perfect -- GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving what you did to the prim broom, great idea Christine...me loves me wee brooms, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They came out just wonderful, love how you finished the shelf! I need to check out the bag, I missed the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love this. I've been wanting a whisk broom like this after seeing a similar one somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't sure where to say this so you would be sure to see it, but THANK YOU so much for my birthday wishes!!! You are such a sweet, faithful friend to me, and I am blessed to know you!

    My birthday wish is to make a broom like yours!! hee hee!

    Here's to a GREAT 44th year to us both!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I like that whole look. It looks so nice and homey. I had these little brooms next to my wood stove and my grandsons thought they were to sweep with every time they came for a visit. I finally gave up. I need to try it again and put them higher. I love the way yours look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness!!! So doing this. I saw those little witchy brooms in Goodwill. Now I know what I can do with them! I have become attached to the old whisk brooms as well. What is that all about? Love and hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your broom tutorial, you are so talented.
    hugs,
    Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fall looks beautiful in your home Christine! Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement too. I know my blog has taken a backseat to our lives this year. I think of you often, as my daughter keeps talking about visiting Ireland, and I tell her that when she saves enough money, we will have to contact my blog friend to find out the best places to visit :)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!