Monday, 10 September 2012

Redware Tutorial

Since discovering primitive decorating, I have learned that there are many 'branches' to it.
It reaches out to include many arts and crafts, so many of which I have come to love such as quilting, punch needle, cross stitching, doll making, rug hooking which I'd love to learn. Then there's all the furniture and punched tin lamps, rugs and pottery, yellow ware and redware.

I admired some pieces on holiday but would not risk paying top dollar for a few pieces which would possibly be smashed in my suitcase on the plane journey home. But I'd toyed with the idea of painting some plates and seeing how they'd turn out. I

I've been on the lookout for flat, plain plates and the other day I dropped by our local goodwill store to leave in some clothes and spotted some plates and a pitcher. Yep, I thought, these will be perfect to experiment on as they cost mere pennies.

Surprisingly the whole process was quite easy and so much fun watching paint dry!!!
I already had some paint in the cupboard and got started right away with a rich red paint that was a sample pot from our local DIY store and I had some 'Papyrus' yellow in a tester pot as well as some varnish ~ here they are:


After making sure the plates were clean and dry I painted on the first coat of red. It took about 4 coats of paint to achieve a good coverage and each coat must be completely dry before adding the next.
Then I took the mustard/yellow paint and came up with this simple redware style pattern~

When this was all dry, I sealed it all with the antique pine varnish which stained it to a nice antique glazed finish and 'TA DAH' What do you think? I am really quite pleased with the end result.

So the other plate and jug were next. The plate was easy enough to do but the pitcher was tricky with all the curves and it's all to easy to chip off the underlying layers of paint but here's how I painted it~

Love stars so that went on this plate~

It really is fun to do! I'm heading back to the Goodwill store for more of those plates!
Let me know what you think! Thanks so much for your comments!
Have a great week!



23 comments:

  1. I think they look fantastic! Good job - wish I was brave enough to try some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I think they look great - job well done. I'll have to add this to my list to try, one of these days! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and a GREAT job! You're so talented! Hope you had a nice Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that is so great. I really like how it looks and it would be so easy to do. I am going to have to try it. It looks just like if you paid all of that money for real redware. What fun. You are so creative. As talented as you are, rug hooking would be so easy for you. I mean if I can do it. :)
    I am so glad you tried this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine,
    That is awesome! Thank you for sharing how to do it too! Wow! You are good at figuring out how to recreate prim items! So, they have Goodwills in Northern Ireland? So cool! I need to visit you!!! Oh, man! I LOVE the pitcher! So talented, Friend! More tutorials! Please!

    Hugs,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of making my own. How fun. Your's look really good. There are limitless ways to design them. Thanks for the know how.
    -Steph-

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just amazing Christine! How clever of you to think of making your own Redware! You did a fantastic job too, I might add!
    I know it's really expensive over here and yours looks like the real thing!
    Great job!
    Hugs and smiles,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe it -- I would never think to paint pottery with wall paint!!! They look terrific! YOU are AMAZING!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing this....I can't wait to try it myself! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO going to try that!!! Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you did a great job, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea Christine! What kind of paint did you use? I know there is paint especially made for jugs, mugs, platters, ... I once made it with the kids. They painted a mug, I baked it in the oven and used it for my daily coffee :-). It wasn't completely dishwasher proof.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goedele! These are only for display so I will only dust them off with a dry, soft cloth. I used emulsion paint for the base coats and pattern.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  12. Oh Christine, those are darling! You did an awesome job! Thank you so much for sharing! Have a great day sweetie!
    Be blessed,
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  13. aww wowwwww those are super cuteeeeeeeeeee
    and you did a hreat job..
    well done deary xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome.
    I just love how they turned out.
    What a great idea friend.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs & JOY
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I love the plate with stars. Thanks so much for sharing:)
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look great Christine! What type of paint did you use?
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Kim! I used everyday emulsion paint. Even when sealed with the varnish it could chip easily so I would recommend only wiping them over with a dry soft cloth to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! Cordelia here again...
    I sent you an email and wanted to make sure it didn't end up in your spam box... :) There are some cute treasure sitting in my living room RIGHT NOW! Well, I guess you can count my dog and husband as that too, well, you know what I mean... I think I may try the plate project this weekend!

    Blessings and hugs!
    Anne with an "e"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks wonderful! You must have the patience of Job to let them dry in between layers though...Thanks for joining in on my giveaway. Blessings, Laura R.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christine, do you mind if I post a link to this on my favorite primitive forum - A Primitive Place?? This is JUST the kind of projects that the girls over there love, and I'd love them to see it! :-D

    As a new blogger, I'm not sure about blog-etiquette, so I'll wait until you say it's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love how they turned out! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!