Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Holiday Highlights Part 2 - Occoquan & lots of photos!


Hello again, and first off let me thank everyone for their visit and comments on my last post!

We're home a week now and it has been tricky getting back into any sort of a routine and normal sleep pattern as well as coping with the rain that never seems to go away here, even for 'summer'.
You can be sure it's a nuisance when laundry needs to be dried and I love hanging clothes out on the line to dry.

So thanks for indulging me last time around and here goes with pt 2.

This is when I have to thank Jan from Life on Buttermilk Hill. It was through her blog and her trip to the craft show in Occoquan Va. that I first heard of this really picturesque little town.
I knew from her pictures that it was a 'must-see' place and I was not disappointed. Thank you Jan for helping me out!


It is so pretty along the river and I loved seeing the old buildings~

One of the first shops we entered was a lovely prim/country store, 'Glory Be'.

I didn't take pics inside as I was so busy chatting to the store keeper, a lovely lady who has relatives living in Northern Ireland and I was so surprised to discover one of her relatives was a History teacher in my high school! I remember him well!

I did buy this fab star as it matches the bag I got last year!

I also thought these were perfect for a summer basket display~


Another fantastic store is 'Personally Yours', which is in the building formerly used as the town bank~
Inside, the rooms were filled to the brim with gorgeous primitives, and accessories:

I loved the way even the old bathroom was put to good use to display more treasures!

I absolutely want everything in this bedroom!!!lol!

Another antique store was Village Americana, well worth a visit. The furniture was beautiful - sorry to say I lost the few pics I took apart from these - the wallpaper upstairs was amazing - pineapples!!
And in another room~
As a treat for the kids and parents!! we headed in to Georgetown to DC Cupcakes which we'd seen on Food Network. There was a line outside up the hill but it moved quickly

Lots of chocolate cupcakes to choose from! They were so good!
Hope you enjoyed the visit and made sense of it all!

It's a pity I can't rewind as I'd love to go back and do it all again!
Thanks again for stopping by!
Best wishes



13 comments:

  1. Hi Christine, good to 'see' you again. O i loved seeing all your pics-I can imagine you would want to go back and do it all again!
    what a pretty village and such eye candy in both shops-my budget would be blew totally in there. I love all the woven blankets and sackcloth. Love your star which goes perfect with your bag and your flowers too. I'm laughing at the kids sitting in the rockers-reminds me of ours on my 'prim' shop days:)
    Glad they got to enjoy those yummy cupcakes-keep them sweet:)
    Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a beautiful town and what great shops! I would love to visit! Your trip sounds really lovely and your purchases are really nice! Hope you're having a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place. So inspiring. I would love to visit.
    Glad you had a good time.I am going back ot look at the pics again.
    Blessings~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a lovely town and very lovely place..
    so happy that you had a lovely time..
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always find the cutest shops while on vacation! How crazy is that about your old teacher, way too cool!! I hope your weather turns around for you. You are getting tons of rain and we aren't getting enough.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I forgot about the cupcakes! That would have been a fun stop too! I've watched that show a couple of times.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chritine, wow, what a great trip, felt like I was there with you. Wonderful stores, so much goodies, and those cupcakes, oh my.Thanks for bringing us along, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I loved this photo tour! Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine

    That looks like a lovely town. We visited little parts of MD and Baltimore and DC and I already miss the prim stores of PA, the countryside, ... I realised I'm mostly a fan of the rural and the colonial part of the US,the nature, not the cities!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine--So happy you went to Occoquan--isn't it the greatest!? Marla is the owner of Glory Be! and her shop is directly across the street from where we set up for the show! She has some of our folk art in her shop.Personally Yours is about 5 storefronts above our booth space. So glad you enjoyed it! Did you get to do anything in Pittsburgh? I'd be happy to send you our heat for a little of your rain!--Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a grand time you must have had...love that little town...we don't get to that side of the country very often...so I loved seeing it from your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome!! I would love every single place you have visited too.
    I just wish we did vacations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing better than a day spent in a beautiful little town, shopping for prim goodies, and then cupcakes later!! How fun Christine. -Steph-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!