Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Tuesday Display Chain - Crafting Secrets Revealed!

Was this ever a difficult challenge? I feel like I've opened the exam paper and my mind's gone blank! Well OK, maybe it's not as bad as that but I have been thinking over my limited crafting experience and I realize that most of the tips I use are passed along from other more generous, talented and creative crafters so I would not even dream of claiming them as my own.

So at the risk of embarrassing myself, I'll share a couple of pretty obvious tips - no rocket science or anything akin to it from me!

Tip #1 Newspaper is my friend! It's great for making your own paper mache items - remember this guy?



It's also a great filler/space booster! I use a couple of crumpled up sheets of newspaper and/or bubble wrap in the bottom of baskets and ditty bags etc to lift up the items I want displayed so as they can be seen better - as in this basket. Fill about halfway with paper,
and then arrange your pieces and they appear to better advantage~


If you are filling with Spanish moss or grass it saves using a lot of the more costly craft goods and you only need use a small amount of them to hide the newspaper!
I've never actually gotten around to it, but ~I've been meaning to paint sheets of ordinary paper in prim tones of greens and tans and then when dry, shredding them in a document shredder to use in spring displays.

My other little tip is what I use to help some of my creations smell that little bit nicer.
Coffee and vanilla and cinnamon tea stain mix is great but if you want to add extra fragrance take some of the scented sachet mix of your choice and add to your doll or pillow or pouch.

Seeing as I was making these strawberry fobs recently, I used some strawberry scent to give it sniffable! (my own phrase!!) goodness!
So there ya go!
And a big thank you to Misi for hosting the display chain again. Check out all that's going on at her blog 1890 Gable House Musings. you don't want to miss out on top secret tips!

Best wishes for a great and very creative week! Thanks for visiting!

21 comments:

  1. That tip on using the contents of the sachet is great!! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that!" moments. Thanks!--Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of putting sachet mix in with your things. What a great idea:) Thanks. I will have to try that next time. Newspaper for a filler and paper mache...so easy. TFS. -Steph-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips Christine!
    I use newspaper quite a bit in my arrangements a sit cuts down on the amount of the spendy floral foam I use. Never thought of painting the paper then shredding it-great idea!

    Hope you are having a lovely spring!
    Blessings,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila,

    Great ideas, I love your paper mache bunny! OLM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of your tips I have never heard of Christine. Thanks for sharing!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great tips! Thanks for sharing! I am a new follower of your blog!
    Be blessed!
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Christine, there's always something one crafter can pass along to another. You did great on the post.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine... Love your paper mache bunny, he's too cute! Thanks for sharing your tips with us all... Hugs, Traci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Christine~ Wonderful secrets~ love the bunny!!!
    smiles
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this weeks Display Chain...great tips Christine.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips Christine!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mind went a little blank on this one too.You came up with some good ones..smile..Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you joined in! Great tip on painting and shredding the paper as filler! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips Christine!! Thanks for sharing!!

    Have a wonderful day~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you know what? I should have known this but I didn't, so thank you for sharing.
    I never thought about using newspaper and I am always trying to get my baskets and bags to look fuller.
    I will have to go learn some more tips. So glad you linked up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great, practical, tips Christine. They may seem obvious to you, but, trust me, not all our brains function on that wave length. I eventually figured out the "false filler" idea - but it took me a long while! And you know I love your bun bun! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  17. For me, I could leave bunnies out all year round, and now that I've done my letter, I think I can take on the project, although mine won't look nearly as good as yours :) Great tips.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful tips!.. Especially the paper filler!.. I seem to grab everything but the kitchen sink to boost up my basket items ;) I will catch the next newspaper from the bin...
    I found a missing coffee cup when i last switched up my baskets .. anything for a boost ;0)
    Thank you for joining along in the chain
    {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tips, Christine.. Love your strawberries.. Bet they do smell nice..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips! I like the shredder-idea. I used to fill and wrap gift baskets in a previous life ;-) and the shredded colored paper is indeed very expensive.

    Keep sharing your tips!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always love to visit Christine..... your such a charmer too :-) :-)
    Love the pics X and tips :-)
    :-) X X X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!