Thursday, 15 March 2012

Bunny Basket Tutorial

Bunny Basket!

A project that will take you back to your early school days and all those projects using papier mache!

Here's what you need for this cheap and cheerful bunny:

lots of sheets of newspaper
sticky tape
flour and water to make a paste
paint brush
filler - also known as joint compound
brown paint or white if you prefer
lacquer/varnish to seal

Step one,
Make the basket part by shaping several layers of newspaper into a curve and hold in place with sticky tape~



The base will look like thisStep 2:
Shape newspaper into an oblong and stick firmly in place


Step 3:
Stick the base/basket part together with the oblong part to form front/neck of bunny

Step 4
By rolling short pieces of newspaper into sausage shapes and sticking you can make paws for bunny and stick on
Step 5
Now make a ball with the paper and stick on top of neck. To this ball for its head add a small lump of kitchenpaper/towel to give a more realist curved head and one for the nose~
A tip here is try to keep the sticky tape as flat as you can for a smoother end result.

Step 6
Cut out 2 ears from cardboard - I used a cereal packet - and cut into the ear along its base to make it easier to attach and sit better



Now it should look something like this though my kids roared with laughter and asked was I making a model of the Egyptian Sphinx!!! Hummmph - my cheeky kids! What an insult to my creativity!!LOL!
Step 7
Cut the newspaper into strips about 3/4" wide and several inches long. Dip into your flour and water paste which acts as your glue - I put a tbspn of flour in a tub and add water bit by bit to make a runny paste, cover the entire bunny in pieces of this papier mache making it as smooth as possible. It looks like this~
Let it dry until completely firm

Step 8
Mix a small amount of filler and fill in any dips and hollows for a smooth face and body and shape the face and any gaps at the leg joints.
Step 9
When completely dry, gently sand off any lumps. Brush off dust and you're ready to paint.
I used a Dulux emulsion called Brown sugar but just use what you like. It will probably take 3 coats of paint to give a good covering. Then seal with varnish when the paint dries.

Here's the eye detail you paint on~

The nose detail~



Then all you need to do is fill with spring goods like eggs on Spanish moss or grass or carrots or even a little potted plant and display for Spring!!
Have fun and show us your Bunny please! We could even have an Easter Bunny blog parade!

Thank you all for taking the time to comment last time - you are all so sweet! Thanks for caring!

Best wishes


20 comments:

  1. You are sooo creative! Wonderful Easter bunny! :o)

    Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is precious Christine! But, oh - what a mess I would make!! (Trust me....truly, really....) What "filler" do you use? Great job - thanks for the tutorial.....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, how did you ever think of this? You are awesome, I love it. It's like we were in school and we made paper mache things.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out great Christine!! I think you have way more patience than me, tho'.
    Great job!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine he's just perfect..and what great directions too.
    I hope anyone who makes one will show all of us on their blogs.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tutorial!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic..so so effective..really want to try this and think I might get the grandbabies involved...well no chores done here this weekend papermache project here I come...Hugs X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... I love, love this.. It does remind me of when I was a kid.. smile... I love bunnies, too..
    thanks so much dear friend.. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I think my kids would love to create this. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful Christine!!! It is so cute and perfect for easter. I would love to make one, but then each of my girls would want one to carry all thier little dolls around in. I can just hear it. "Come on, lets give our toys bunny rides". Oh man. Thanks for the tutuorial. I will pin it and save it until my kids won't want one anymore. Ha Ha. -Steph-

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute is that bunny. Oh I love.
    Thanks for sharing
    Hugs Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's very cute!
    Thanks for showing us how you made this wonderful bunny.
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute bunny--Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute bunny--Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so creative. Thank you for the fantastic tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bunny Love! thanks so much for this very helpful tutorial! Glad I have LOTS of newspaper and sticky tape.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! That looks great. Great instructions as well! Your sampler from the previous post looks fabulous! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is awesome Christine!! Love all the detailed instructions. He's so cute sitting as a centerpiece filled with eggs, just darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!