Monday, 12 December 2011

Here's how I painted it...

Hi everyone!
Susan over at Glen Oaks Primitives asked me to share a bit of a tutorial on how I painted my latest wall cupboard, which I showed you in my last post. I'm more than a bit shy of doing this as I'm no expert, but I'll gladly share with anyone who's interested just what steps I took and paint used in this make over.

If you know me at all, I'm the impatient - I want to have it finished before I've started kind of person so this was a relatively simple make over!!!

This was the only 'before shot I have of the cupboard which was purchased from ebay. It was shabby chic in style and my mother couldn't believe it when I 'ruined' it by painting it black!

First though, it needed a light sanding to remove the wax coating and residue paint but I didn't strip it right back.



Next I used Dulux Midnight Black matt emulsion paint and just gave it one coat of this and let it dry.

Here's the bit where I was tempted to throw it away when I applied the next coat of paint which was Dulux Ruby Red matt emulsion but it does go on in this lurid pinkish tone!


After letting it dry, all I had to do was stain it with a teak varnish but the best way I found to do it was to remove as much varnish from your brush as possible and paint the surface and then using a clean old rag, lightly wipe over it so that the stain is not too deep. It really does help kill the pinkish tone!
And there you have it!
Before I head off, I'll share what I got in the mail today- like an early Christmas!
Another ebay purchase (from a 'local' primitive saltbox lover!!) and a bit of a treat for myself - my very first hooked rug! Really pleased with my new snowman rug!

And I have sighed contentedly and stroked these gorgeous wool bundles which came all the way from Rhode Island -l you wool lovers out there know what I'm talking about!!

Now I need to put them to good use before the 25th! Watch this space!
Hugs and thanks again, dear friends!



17 comments:

  1. Dear Christine,
    You did an awesome job with the tutorial. Just look at how beautiful the cupboard is. I can't believe it went from pink to the beautiful primitive red over black. Just gorgeous.
    Thank you so much for sharing. Of course we don't have the Dulux brand over here but I'm sure that there are comparable brands here. I'm planning on using Caromal Colors Country Living Artisans Collection. Check them out, they are stunning, and what you can do with their products is amazing.
    I know what you mean about the wools. You just want to stroke your hand over them. I love fabric, especially natural linens and wools.
    Enjoy them and I can't wait to see what you create with your wools.
    Merry Christmas,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you, if you don't you can follow Margie at Hungry Hook Primitives. She does beautiful hooked rugs and mats and she has a complete set of tutorials covering all the aspects of rug hooking and dyeing your own wools. She's a lovely person too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cupboard. I really want to learn how to take an old cupboard to prim with paint like you did! Thanks for the tutorial. Your hooked snowman is fun! Did you make it? Was it a kit? Very prim! Can't wait to see what will become of that wool!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cupboard turned out beautifully. The snowman rug is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that. That turned out so nice.
    You did a really good job. I like your new rug too.
    I have been hooking today and it is just the best thing to do on a cold day.
    So glad you shared your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to try painting using the stain method too, so now maybe I can, thanks to you! :))
    LOVE your new snowman rug~he's adorable! and of course the wool is wonderful!!!

    Hugs,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you Christine, I want results and I don't always relish the process either. I would have panicked if I saw pink! =)
    It looks fabulous, thanks so much for sharing how to achieve the look.
    Snowmen...gotta luv 'um!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great!! I don't like to wait for the first coat to dry on anything I paint. I want it to "be done already" too :)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still fascinated at how that pink became that gorgeous prim red...wow. Would have scared me paintless! ;o) Love your little snow guy....and...ahhh, yes - the smell, the feel, the wonder of wool!! Enjoy and savor! Hope your week is off to a great start! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love it Friend.
    Great job. And the wool be still my heart..
    Christmas JOY
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see what you create! And the shelf really did turn out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job! I was chringing over the pink, but how beautiful it came out! I love your rug, it is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your cupboard. I never thought it would have turned out like that with the pink, it looks wonderful!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for showing how to remake with paint. I am all new to this and every bit helps. I love your hooked rug. Such a cute design. Those wool bundles are awesome. I would pet them too:) -Steph-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Christine,
    You did a beautiful job on your cupboard!! I think I would have been scared if I'd seen that pink too! :-)
    Your snowman rug is adorable! I have a soft spot for snowmen and gingers for sure!
    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful post too :-) Ah, thanks Christine :-) It's something about friends always being there :-)
    The Santa MADE ME CRY ... again :-)
    Looking at your post, I know the hours of work that has gone into the "paint job" :-) There is always something worth while, when you sit back and admire your effort :-) Looks fantastic X
    :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tutorial, it came out real nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!