As I was rummaging thru some of my past pieces I came across this pumpkin greeter and decided I'd share with my friends and do a quick wee tutorial so you can make one yourself for Fall!
HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Pumpkin colored fabric or plain cotton you could paint and tea stain in a pumpkin color, about 12" x 12" when doubled over.
- Small pieces of green and brown felt/fabric
- Glue gun
- Basic sewing supplies
- Black paint for the crow
- Rusty wire - about 15 -20" in length should do!
- Using the pattern below, cut out your pumpkin shape template
- Trace around this template on your doubled piece of fabric - remember this trace line is your stitch line so you will need to cut out from this line approx. 1/4"
- Sew together leaving a gap on the base of the pumpkin for stuffing.
- Only stuff until lightly and evenly filled out and close up the opening.
- Lightly mark on the lines of the pumpkin sections as shown on the pattern.
- Using about 3 strands of matching floss, stitch through the pumpkin from back to front, starting at the top ( to hide knots). Pull each stitch firmly until taut working to the base. Repeat for each section - it should look like this ~
Now you are ready to cut out the crow shape from 2 pieces of calico or such, remembering to leave 1/4" around the trace and sew line to cut it out.
Paint the crow black but its beak orange and leave to dry then sand lightly.
Next cut out a rectangle of osnaberg or such approx. 3" x 2". Leave edges rough and back stitch on the lettering Fall.
Assemble it altogether:
Stitch the 'Fall' patch on to your pumpkin using a running stitch. Attach where shown in my pic.
Make the stem and leaf from the templates given below and sew them on where marked at the top.
Tie a length of stained cheese cloth to the stem and add Spanish moss (if you wish) with glue from your glue gun and then glue on the crow.
Add some fall colored pipberry and glue on.
And finally take some thin rusty wire and push thru the pumpkin and twist in ends on either side of the pumpkin and you're ready to hang and display your pumpkin greeter!
Hope this makes sense to you, but if you've any queries just let me know and I'll try to help!
Let me know what you think and I'd be really thrilled to see your finished greeter so PLEASE show us!!
Well, that's it folks - have a lovely day!