Thursday, 8 September 2011

Pumpkin Greeter Tutorial

Feelin' like fall alright!! We've had very cool evenings and mornings this past week and naturally enough, thoughts turn to fall decorating.

As I was rummaging thru some of my past pieces I came across this pumpkin greeter and decided I'd share with my friends and do a quick wee tutorial so you can make one yourself for Fall!

HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

  1. Pumpkin colored fabric or plain cotton you could paint and tea stain in a pumpkin color, about 12" x 12" when doubled over.
  2. Small pieces of green and brown felt/fabric
  3. Cheesecloth
  4. pipberry
  5. Fiberfill
  6. Glue gun
  7. Basic sewing supplies
  8. Black paint for the crow
  9. Rusty wire - about 15 -20" in length should do!
DIRECTIONS:

  1. Using the pattern below, cut out your pumpkin shape template
  2. Trace around this template on your doubled piece of fabric - remember this trace line is your stitch line so you will need to cut out from this line approx. 1/4"
  3. Sew together leaving a gap on the base of the pumpkin for stuffing.
  4. Only stuff until lightly and evenly filled out and close up the opening.
  5. Lightly mark on the lines of the pumpkin sections as shown on the pattern.
  6. Using about 3 strands of matching floss, stitch through the pumpkin from back to front, starting at the top ( to hide knots). Pull each stitch firmly until taut working to the base. Repeat for each section - it should look like this ~


Now you are ready to cut out the crow shape from 2 pieces of calico or such, remembering to leave 1/4" around the trace and sew line to cut it out.

Paint the crow black but its beak orange and leave to dry then sand lightly.
Next cut out a rectangle of osnaberg or such approx. 3" x 2". Leave edges rough and back stitch on the lettering Fall.

Assemble it altogether:
Stitch the 'Fall' patch on to your pumpkin using a running stitch. Attach where shown in my pic.
Make the stem and leaf from the templates given below and sew them on where marked at the top.
Tie a length of stained cheese cloth to the stem and add Spanish moss (if you wish) with glue from your glue gun and then glue on the crow.
Add some fall colored pipberry and glue on.
And finally take some thin rusty wire and push thru the pumpkin and twist in ends on either side of the pumpkin and you're ready to hang and display your pumpkin greeter!

Hope this makes sense to you, but if you've any queries just let me know and I'll try to help!

Let me know what you think and I'd be really thrilled to see your finished greeter so PLEASE show us!!

Well, that's it folks - have a lovely day!
Best wishes


18 comments:

  1. Hi Christine~
    lovely little door greeter and tutorial! Not sure how I missed your horn of plenty but it is awesome.
    Our days are still warm but love the cool evenings, very fallish feeling.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving wonderful comments. I try to email back but your email is a No-reply so I'm thanking you now!
    Blessings,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Christine. Now if you would just give me some sewing lessons with this tutorial lesson I would be in great shape!

    Enjoy your day,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute Christine. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs
    ~Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great tutorial! The door greeter is just perfect for fall. I am looking forward to trying to make one!

    Blessings, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS, CHRISTINE.. LOVELY FOR FALL..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet Christine - and very sweet of you to share this tutorial - your instructions are so clear and easy to follow - now if I could only finish up the dozens of projects I have started around here, perhaps I could take on something new!! Have a beautiful day! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really cute...and your new header looks great too! I really need to start making some nice Fall things but I have been so busy getting ready for my October and December shows that I haven't taken any 'me" time! It's a cooker here today...I can't wait for our cool down!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet of you to share Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I missed your other post, but I'm still having computer problems on my end.
    Your fall decor looks great Christine and it's getting me in the mood to get my things out too.
    We've been having cooler weather all this wk. and rain, after having 100* HOT/HUMID weather before that. Loving it!
    Thanks for sharing your talent w/us!
    Smiles,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute fall decor!
    The weather is just beginning to cool down here and it is so enjoyable. Just hope the snow flakes don't come too early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stinkin Cute Christine!
    And how cool of you yo show us how to make our very own!
    Hugs to you Friend
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tut Christine!!! It's simple and can be done in 1 day. I love it. -Steph-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine, this is awesome. I did a "Blog This" post about this adorable door greeter. Thank you so much
    for sharing. Don't have too many brownie bombs!
    Warm Regards,
    Susan B., Western MA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Christine, thanks for the tutorial, such an adorable door greeter. I'll have to put it on hold though.:-)
    Have a great day!!
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine,

    I just found your Blog over at Susan's. I love the tutorial for the door greeter.

    And I LOVE your Profile. I love your boldness about our Lord. God's Blessings.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! I still have not taken down my patriotic stocking although I have started putting out fall decorations. I may just wait until after 9-11....or I may just leave it up all year! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christine,
    THANK YOU for such a great tutorial - it certainly looks easy enough and it's JUST ADORABLE.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!