Saturday, 16 July 2011

The Road Trip is over...



Hello again - we're back home after 16 terrific days in the States on a bit of a road trip! So I'm just popping in to say 'Hi!' and share a few highlights for now as I don't seem to be fully over jet lag and I'm making too many typos!! Hope I still remember how to upload the photos!!!

We certainly had a fantastic time seeing the sights and enjoying eating out at so many great restaurants, making the most of the sunshine and sea etc!

As you can well believe, I was on a mission also whilst in the USA. I wanted to stock up on supplies that are just well nigh impossible to find over here and the main one I wanted was wool fabric. What a search we had even in PA and MD. for wool. Seems like everyone is closing down.
We detoured thru Cockeysville MD to find Cockeysville Country Store which I'd found online and seen the wool in store. We arrived and found a sweet lady in a neighboring antique store who told us the store had closed and gone out of business. Needless to say I was disappointed, big time :-(


But I did not despair completely! Until I arrived and saw these signs at the Olde Peddler Wool store in Morgantown PA. I couldn't believe it that another store was going to close and thought that we were too late. We went in and I only saw knitting wool - not what I needed and that's when i nearly cried until I saw a little twisty stair case and it was like going over the rainbow to find this!!! Two rooms of wool and with 50% OFF!!!! By this point my kids knew for sure that their mother was deranged and shook their heads despairingly!!LOL!



The owner was so lovely to chat with and explained that she was closing to spend more time with family - I was just so relieved to get so much lovely wool at bargain prices! Here are some of the colors I picked out - yummy wool!I also found Hodge Podge in Strasburg PA, a great little shop selling cross stitch supplies and such so it was fun picking out threads and linen and a few charts for the winter months.

Along the way I also picked out some more fabrics and patterns - so enjoyable when you can browse a shop full of dry goods!
Well I'm going to have to call it a day and get some shut eye but thanks for stoppin' by and I hope to be back early next week with some more tales of our trip!

See you then!
Best wishes

16 comments:

  1. oh my those rooms of wool would have brought me to my knees... how beautiful. I am glad you found a shop that had what you were looking for. I am glad you had a good trip to the states. Now go get some rest.
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home Christine!!! One of the best thing about going away for me is always coming home....and my own bed!! Sorry your wool search was so elusive - but it looks like you found some great stuff - and with 50% off, what's not to love??!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with with your new stashes!! Have a wonderful weekend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine,
    I live less than two hours from Strasburg PA. Isn't it a wonderful town? I'm so happy you had a good trip this way!
    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my trips across the pond before we moved over. Big suitcases and hardly any clothes...they would come back filled with all sorts of stuff, especially if I had a trip to Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are home safe Christine ... with or without the wool...lol..
    Glad you found everything you were looking for...
    I missed you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you hit the jack pot! So glad you were finally able to find what you were looking for!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you finally found what you were after Christine. Makes me realize how much I take for granted. You made some beautiful selections. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Christine~
    It sounds like you had another wonderful vacation here in the States. It will be fun to see what you create with your purchases. It is unfortunate that the closing of so many small businesses seems to be the story everywhere. I wonder if we will ever recover?
    Glad you are home safely.
    Blessiings,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine
    Glad to see you post and great you had a lovely time..so looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing what you create from those lovely wools..I think I would have had trouble in the shop choosing LOL..hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah Christine, glad you had a great time over here in our neck of the woods. looks like you got some great bargains on wool. can't wait to see what you make with it all.

    Hugs
    ~Felicia

    Ps did you make it to Shady Maple?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! You were practically in my backyard!! Glad you enjoyed your trip and are safe at home. Now we'll be watching to see what you make with all of your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you found some treasures friend.
    Have great day and welcome back home.
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Christine-glad you are home safe and sound and your trip sounds delightful!

    I have palpitations just looking at those shelves of wool-so glad you came on some and even better with 50% off!! EVEN better if she still there when I get there!lol!

    Looking forward to seeing more of your trip:)

    Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you were able to find a handful of shops to help you out. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a wonderful time Christine....and I love your purchases!
    Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great you had a good time :-) GET SOME SLEEP :-)

    Thanks my friend, good to see you back, WELCOME HOME
    :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!