Friday, 29 July 2011

FRIDAY - FINISHES & FAMILY

Hey friends!
hope you've been enjoying summer this week! We have had a fun filled family week here with great weather and a few outings. Thought I'd share one of the 'high'lights with you of our hike up Cavehill, the hill which shelters Belfast from the north and overlooks the city and the lough.
Even though we only live 10 miles away, I'd never climbed it before, nor had the kids, but my mountain bike lovin' hubby has cycled over it several times - though I don't know where he found the breath for the climb, it's steep and scary on the way down.


This is the view from a street way below~



It took about an hour to climb at a slow rate! But the views from the top are fantastic - we could see for 25 miles to the south toward the Mourne mountains~ (click to enlarge)


Below is the view northwards up Belfast lough where the ferries head out towards Scotland~

On the way down we went through the beautiful grounds and gardens of Belfast Castle, a popular venue for weddings~

The gardens are well laid out and there is a special mosaic of the castle cat, a legend which says as long as a cat lives in the castle, there will be good fortune to all in the castle~
Here's a couple of things I finished this week. I made another mouse this time from wool felt in a beige mouse color and have made her into a harvest mouse getting ready for fall!









Then was this pinkeep from Primitive Betty. It's so pretty - sunflowers and crows work well together!After all that hustle and bustle it's time to sit down and put my feet up and have a cup of tea!

Thanks for all your lovely comments and I hope you have time to leave a little comment - I'd love for you to say 'Hi!'
Have a great weekend!



8 comments:

  1. Such pretty pictures from your hike. And I love the cat legend. Your pumpkin mouse turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous views!! What I wouldn't give to be able to visit Ireland some day!! Just love the green, lush, landscapes and those craggy steep hills and mountains (least that's how I've come to think of it!!). Your harvest mouse is so sweet...love her! And, yikes - you're a quick one to get Betty's "crows" done up already....I have it in my to-do stack as well....love me my crows you know!! Have a wonderful weekend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was quite a climb! Love the pics - the cat mosaic is really interesting. Great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Christine! We don't always remember the lovely places & beautiful scenery we have not too far from home! Your little mouse is so sweet,& well done on finishing your lovely pinkeep...
    Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful hike...stunning pictures! Your little mouse is so sweet...she looks like she is all ready for Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful pics of your area Christine! I can't wait to see it in person some day! Looks like a wonderful place to live.

    Your little harvest mouse turned out so cute and so did your crow pillow!

    Smiles,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I doubt I'll ever travel overseas, and I love seeing your pictures of Ireland. Very nice!

    What do you stuff your pinkeep with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely, lovely blog you have! I completely enjoyed your photos, as I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Ireland & Scotland (way back on my father's side, as back as we know, we started in Scotland...to England...to Virginia/USA...to Kentucky...to Ohio).

    What fun that you got to visit PA's Amish Country. Hopefully, someday if you can come back to the States you can visit Holmes County, Ohio ~ the the largest Amish Settlement in the world. We are in SW Ohio & Holmes County in closer to the NE corner, but we've been there a few times & just love it. YOU would LOVE going to Lehman's Country Store where the Amish buy so many of their things ~ they are one of the largest stores of non-electric products in the world. You can easily spend the day there.

    And, of course, I LOVE your prims. My favorite home "fashion statement." :-)

    I hope to stop back often & I hope that you will drop by Marmee's Pantry as often as you can.

    Blessings from Ohio/USA, Kim<><

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!