Friday, 11 June 2010

A freebie Americana pattern for you!

Good morning and welcome! If you love Americana as much as I do, then this freebie pattern is for you - a sort of thank you for visiting and following my blog!
I just finished this penny rug style candle mat/table runner that I designed myself and thought I could share it with anyone who is interested in making one for themselves.
Trust me, it's very straightforward and easy to do!I used some wool felt in black and of course red white and blue and some DMC floss for the blanket stitch around the border and to sew on the stars as well as 1776.

The black background piece of wool felt measures 12"x9" but you can re-size for whatever you need.
I appliqued the 3 stars on top of each other and then stitch the white lines on with three smaller stars in red, white and blue at the end of each line.I also stitched tiny little stars on each line to make it more like a firework.I stitched 1776 in the top left corner in red white and blue to finish it off!
There are variations I can think of such as doing the letters U S A in stead of stars at the end of each line or doing a longer runner with the design at each end. Just a few alternatives for you!

Please feel free to use this pattern and have a happy 4th July!



11 comments:

  1. Very nice Christine. You make it sound so simple to create a penny rug. I may have to try it.
    Enjoy your weekend,
    Hugs AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine. I may have to try this in a sampler version. Appreciate the ideas you have!
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Christine-great idea!

    I'm so jealous, you are getting time to sew-I'm having withdrawal symptoms this week!lol!

    Keep crafting and speak soon-love all your Americana,

    Blessings, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous project, Christine. I wonder if next time you could post a pic of how you use this candle mat so that the stitching isn't convered. I would be afraid that after working so hard on it, that the design might be hidden....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piece of work, Christine...
    Thanks for sharing...
    Have a great weekend...
    Hugs..

    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the third time I have tried to post this comment, I hope it goes through this time!

    Your Americana penny rug is so stinkin' cute Christine and you know how much I love Americana!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Tanya~friendshipcrossing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. too cute christine.great job!god bless and have a great weekend sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice pattern, thank you for sharing it! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great work you do!! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Christine! That is very sweet of you!! Now that I'm quitting work, I think I will get into making penny rugs. I really need some runners for different rooms in my home but can never find what I want. Now I'll have time to make my own! Yah!

    I love how you pay great attention to the detail. The little stars in the trailing are so cute! I love this design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to say I enjoyed my visit to your blog.. Thanks for following. I am now a follower of yours..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!