Monday, 15 March 2010

I Made some prim daisies - so can you!!



Welcome one and all!
Today I thought I'd share with you the easiest little project to make some grungy prim daisies.
I think they look prim sweet for spring and you could make up quite a few in no time at all!

Here's all you need:
some cream/off-white calico, or cotton or some such fabric; some different homespuns; a little bit of fiberfill,
a few twigs,
needle and thread; coffee and vanilla/cinnamon mixture.

Now here's what to do~
First cut out at least 3 different size circles - just draw around a candle jar or a small bowl and for the smallest circle I used a cotton reel.Layer them as in the pic. above.

Next take a bit of fiberfill and put it under the smallest circle.
Then stitch the three layers together around the center circle as shown in pic. below~
Then cut in towards the center circle all the way around both outer layers, just be careful not to cut in too deep, only about 1/2 inch.
Now all you have to do is coffee stain them and leave them to dry over heat or in the oven at a very low temp so as not to burn them and they should shrivel around the edges and look really grungy - just how we want them!

Lastly, attach each flower to a twig. You can use a glue gun or stitch firmly on the back of the flower head.Arrange in a basket or jar as you please and display for Spring!
Mine are really darker than shown - it just a lovely bright day with lots of natural light that makes them look 'not-so-grungy'!

I hope you give them a try and enjoy them in your home!!

I'm off now to read one of my all time favorite magazines - yes, Country Sampler Home Tours 2010!!!
Didn't think I could get my hands on a copy but my nephew came home from New York where's he's studying for a year and brought it back for me!! Needless to say I'm thrilled!

Have a wonderful week and thanks for your visit!



19 comments:

  1. I love them!! What a great way to use up scraps of fabric. I think I may try to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! they look really lovely.
    Lucky you with your country sampler mag-I'm GREEN:)) Enjoy!
    Blessings, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Daisies Christine. They looks wonderful. Certainly Primitive Spring Looking. This just might be a craft that's right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a fantastic day!
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are just adorable and I think I could do those!
    Hugs, Ella

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH wow! your prim daisies are adorable! Now I want to rush out to my craft barn and make some! LOL

    How very cute they are! Thanks for the easy tutorial. I always do better if I can 'see' how things are made. You make it look very simple, which I LOVE!

    Tanya~friendshipcrossing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine. Love the daisies. I make sunflowers just like them with more autumnal colored fabrics. Enjoy your copy of CS! Lots of wonderful prims homes in there this time! Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great idea. I think I'm going to put my other projects on hold and try them out. They are so cute and you make them look very easy. As you are browsing through your Country Sampler, check out my handmade wall basket.

    Enjoy your Monday!
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turned out fantastic!
    I am going to save this to do later this Spring!
    I have been going over my CS home tour issue over and over again...I just can't get enough!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute easy idea....I love these! Thanks for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these too, gong to go and have a look in the cupboard under the stairs for some lost material x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine,
    Thank you so much for sharing this tut with us! I am definitely gonna give these a try! I love them! I've read my CS Home Tours Edition about 10 times now! LOL!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those turned out great, Darla! Thanks for the tutorial. Enjoy your CS. It's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness gracious. I'm SO excited. This is definitely something I CAN do! The only thing is I don't know how to coffee stain? lol. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am thinking of doing something like for my daycare children mothers on Mother's Day..

    ((hugs))just had to hug you with joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your prim daisies! Thanks for sharing them with us :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial. Thanks for telling us how to make those darling daisies. I am definitely putting those on my crafts to-do list. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christine, Those turned out great. I love them.!!! I really enjoy your blog!

    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, aren't you just nifty? Such a simple and cute idea! I love them! I think I'll start now on making some for fall. Lol, I'm always behind. I have lots of neat fall homespun. I've also been buying some muslin and homespun at Hobby Lobby as I see it in remnants. We mark it at a discount when it's a remnant at the end of the bolt, then I get my 15% employee discount on top of that! This will also be great for using up those scrap pieces! Thanks so much girl for a wonderful idea! I will definitely be making some of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, and I'm so glad you were able to get a CS home tour! Isn't it a great issue?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!