Saturday, 20 March 2010

The Argory, County Armagh

Spring greetings from Northern Ireland! It was a beautiful day and in order to make the most of it,
The National Trust here which looks after sites of historical and cultural importance, opened their doors for free to the public.

We decided to visit one of our nearest properties in County Armagh called the Argory built in 1820's by Irish gentry and extremely well preserved in its original state. There are also lovely walks and views to enjoy. I found this link to it which allows you to have a virtual visit so click here to take a tour of this beautiful mansion.
Here are a couple of additional pics of the dining room and hall

I love the architecture of these wonderful old places and as soon as you step inside you are transported to a different era.
Even Victorian clothing and dresses were on show as well as how the servants worked in such houses.

All in all it was a lovely way to enjoy the first day of Spring!

10 comments:

  1. I've never made it to see the Argory Christine...Mount Stewart is nearest to us! It looks amazing and I'm sure you have had a lovely day! Thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have wanted to touch and feel everything. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at the virtual tour site and my 16yo daughter came in (the one that wants to move to Ireland). She let out such a squeal of delight! It is beautiful. How wonderful to live so close to this. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Lovely....Thanks so much for sharing it with us Christine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely family day out-its a place I have never been.
    Thanks for the tour,
    Hugs, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun "meeting" you! I was thinking I might send something special to my 100th "bloggy friend" (I'm not fond of the follower title, for I am a follower of Jesus and not men)
    YOU are in Ireland!!! How cool is that?! I have a great friend of whom I know you will love her blog...hop back over to mine, cause I'm not sure of her addy, and look for Shabby old potting shed on my side bar.

    What did you think about my soda bread??? I am part Irish and try to keep St Pat's day a bit more traditional.

    What a fun blog you have...I decorated in this style awhile ago...I love it. You can still find bits and pieces of this style through out my home. ; )

    Thanks for sharing these pics, I love history and places like this!

    Come on by and sit a spell any time you want...the kettle is always on!
    Bless...Shell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like a beautiful place to visit!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could have done with an extra paw or too really x x x :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place. I can see why you enjoyed your visit there so much. Those photos definitely make me want to visit Ireland. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely way to spend the first day of spring! I love visiting old homes like this as well. I just don't think I could live in such a stately home. I prefer my little ol' prim home. It is a beautiful home though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!