Saturday, 6 March 2010

Are you enjoying more spring like weather? We've certainly had a beautiful sunny spring week here and it's been so nice to feel some warmth in the sun and know that the days are lengthening.

For one reason and another it's been hard to find time to post but today there is a window of opportunity! My eldest is at rehearsals for her school's performance of 'Oliver' the musical and the other two are playing outside with neighboring children. I love it when they can get out of doors and run free.

One highlight of my week was a visit to have a chat with Shazy, some of you might know from Countryprims blog. If you entered her giveaway, you'll have seen what a talented crafter she is.

Well, take a look at this fantastic wall hanging she took the time to make for me!
Isn't it amazing - all hand stitched! I love it so much - thanks so much Shazy!

I have been trying to make some things and hopefully will be able to show you them next week.
In the mean time, here's what I got this week which could be the start of a collection of vintage sewing needfuls.

The background to this is that my aunt, who's now in her 80's, emigrated to California in the late 50's. After many years and family difficulties, she returned to N. Ireland and brought alot of stuff back with her. She never liked throwing anything away but was extremely organized.
Unfortunately she has had to go into a nursing home and my parents are now overseeing her estate and sorting through her belongings. When my mom showed me her sewing box I spotted this vintage set of needles
Can't you just see yourself in a group like these ladies?!!! I thought it was a great find!
I also got these darning wools and wondered if any of you would know how old they are?
I love the vintage appeal of them - mind you who darns socks nowadays? There are some more items I'm going to have a look through and maybe find some more collectibles - you just never know!

I mightn't darn much but I've some stitchin' to do!Hope everyone enjoys a more spring like weekend!
Best wishes


8 comments:

  1. Wow that Shazy is one spectacular crafter ! She has some awesome talent !!!! And I just adore your vintage sewing items. I'd say those are probably from the 40's or the 50's by the graphics that's what era they look like to me.
    We are having the most wonderful weather here this weekend too !!! It's in the mid 50's and the sun is shining ahhhhh Spring is definitely
    in the air. I hope your enjoying your weekend.
    Prim Huggs n Blessins
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY LOVE THE WALLHANGING. YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL FRIEND.. I COLLECT SEWING NEEDFULS AND LOOK FOR THEM AT EVERY AUCTION AND THRIFT STORES. FOUND A WHOLE BOXFUL A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. WE STILL HAVE A LOT OF SNOW ALTHOUGH JUST AN HOUR AWAY THERE ISN'T ANY..SPRING WILL GET HERE THOUGH, EH? GOD BLESS..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your vintage treasures! Awesome!!
    I'd guess they are from the 50's maybe...
    Lovely family keepsakes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine! I love your wall hanging from Shazy! The weather has been nice here for the last week. It's great to see and feel the sunshine, and see the melting snow!!

    Have a great rest of the weekend!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those old type of sewing finds, especially when they belonged to a relative.
    Thanks for the lovely comments and hope you have a great week,
    Blessings, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!! I was just talking about vintage sewing items in my blog today. I love them so much! I have quite a few that belonged to my great-aunt, grandma, and great-grandma. They are wonderful treasures to have.

    Shazy is a talented crafter. How sweet of her to make that delightful wall hanging for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Wall-Hanging!!!! We are enjoying beautiful weather here right now too!
    I love visiting your blog and seeing all the pruty prims!
    Hugs, GG

    ReplyDelete
  8. good to hear from you too x x x
    I love your bunnie does he cook ! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!