Thursday, 4 February 2010

What we've been working on all week

I have been so pleased with this week's work that I couldn't wait any longer to share some pics of what we've been doing.

This has been one of those fairly big projects that I've been wanting done for ages and finally it's done! YAAYY! I'm so pleased with the outcome as it is one of those pieces in the home that you have to look at everyday and what was there before really didn't have the look I was after considering it was there from the time the house was built 20 years ago.

I have to thank my dad for generously giving his time and effort to do this for me - because this week I was his apprentice!
So, I'm talking about the staircase in our home!! When you think about it, it's really a big piece of furniture so I wanted it to look good especially as you see it as soon as you enter our home.
This is the only pic I could find' before' when I had some Christmas decorations up, but you get the idea of the old style staircase we had:

This is a pic after the old boards were cut away - even this is better if not dangerous with 3 kids running about!!
And here are the after shots I took just now so remember this is it still plain pine. We will probably varnish them to finish it. I chose fairly simple cut spindles with a 'stop champfer' cut on the edges and newel post to match as this is more like the staircases I've seen in saltbox houses of the past and classic early American homes, though some might have been painted.
I would paint with a colonial colored paint but that's not for DH and I appreciate that he let me have the spindles in the style of my choice.
Now all I've got to do is put up something on the walls as they're bare for the most part!
Oh well, never a dull moment and I love planning and choosing what to do next!

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to visit with me! I love the company and the comments so please say 'Hi!' Thanks too for following all who have recently found my blog -
I am delighted to meet each and everyone!

Have a great day!


25 comments:

  1. Seems we aren't the only one's that are busy.
    This looks great. Really approve of the natural and back to wood. Better..... good ol dads eh?
    x x x
    How about teak oil................ ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean......teak oil for the wood, not the walls :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice.... that's exactly the same as mine Christine!
    My hallway has a New England theme, so my handrail is natural wood with pale cream painted spindles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done.
    Blessings, GG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice choices! What a different look you created, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stair case looks very nice I have one very similar to yours mine is painted black along with the stairs then I have braided treds on them I love mine and I know you will love yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing transformation ! Love it. It looks absolutely stunning.
    Prim Huggs n Blessins
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new staircase, Christine!! What a transformation! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous! You must be so proud to have had a hand in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine - Gotta love those stairs, they look just like mine that I posted about earlier this week. My risers are painted and the treads are stained - have hubby look at them, maybe it will change his mind. My DH had the same thoughts about paint - but he's happy with ours too. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow-your stairs look fab-love the spindles, I'm sure you are so pleased:) Dads are great!
    Have a great weekend,
    Hugs, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Job well done! Aren't Dads the best?! You will have so much fun decorating the railing. Congrats to you on another finished project.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really admire your staircase. I so wish we had one in our home. You and your dad did a great job.
    Enjoy your weekend,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice staircase!!! You & Dad did wonderful!

    Blessings~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful! You guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your stair case is beautiful! Please show us a picture when you have it all finished :0)
    Have a great weekend!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. We built our home 24 years ago, and I still don't have a decent stair rail, in fact none at all, but the open part of our staircase only goes half way up, so the kids, and now grands use it to jump off of for entertainment. I am still dreaming of my new stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've passed by twice now and still love the stairs x x x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have actually read your comments..for a change..as I normally just say my "bit".
    The cottage stairs, look nothing like yours hone.
    But like yours they look beautifully clean.. x x x well, think yours might look better !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this stair rail looks wonderful. You're dad is talented. I love the new Spring look of your blog background too.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful change. Very nice.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christine, I LOVE IT!! You and your dad did an amazing job! Mine is similar and I love decorating it with fall and Christmas garland. I think just varnish would look really good on it!

    Oh, and thank you for following my blog! I actually have two. One is just rambling on about my family and other things (Ramblings from a grateful heart) which you are a follower of. The other is my new prim blog (Berry Homespun Primitives). I would be delighted if you would follow that one also! =] Just click on my name and it should take you to my profile page where it lists both blogs. Thanks and a have a wonderful day~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!