Thursday, 28 January 2010

How to make a pretty Valentine candle mat


I had been looking for this candle mat and found it at long last to complete my simple Valentine's decorating. So now that I've found it I thought I'd share with you how you too can make one just in time for Feb. 14!

Here's what you need:
  • some osnaburg fabric - enough to cut 2 large circles,
  • some red homespun or any of your choice for the 6 applique hearts,
  • needle and thread and scissors! Yep, that's all!
Here's what to do-

Draw a circle on some card for your template with a diameter of 7".


Place the template on a double layer of the osnaburg and draw around it. This will be your sewing guide line.
So you must make sure to cut out the template leaving 1/4 inch all the way out from your guide line.
Now you can sew all the way round following the guideline.
Once that's done, cut a slit through ONE layer of the osnaburg and turn right side out. Sew up the opening and press flat.Using the 2" heart template, cut out 6 red hearts from your chosen fabric.
Arrange them on the right side up of your circle.Sew them all in place and you are done! Just place a candle on it and enjoy admiring it!
Hope you give it a go!
Best wishes



18 comments:

  1. Cute project! I do believe I will have to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute Valentine candle mat! I just love candle mats! Thanks for sharing=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute idea! I might have to make one to put under one of my Valentine arrangements instead of a candle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is oh so cute. You gave wonderful directions on how to make it. I think I am going to try to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this..I'm a 'wanna be sewer'...I have so much material (yes, I collect material)., than stare at it because I don't know how to sew,,well get overwhelmed.I think I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute candle mat! Thanks for sharing it with us!! Have a great day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine-you did a great job!

    You are all ready for Valantines Day:)
    Keep blogging-I need plenty of reading material this week lol!
    Blessings, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it and the heart you had posted in the header of your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute and very simple :) Thanks for sharing!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so cute, and also looks like something I could do. I'm guessing that osnaburg fabric is something like muslin? Your instructions are very clear too, thanks so much. Also, thanks for the sweet comments about my migraine headaches. I'm not a coffee drinker at all, but I do find that too much tea can give me trouble too.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this candle mat, so pretty, thankyou for sharing. Also, thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving a lovely comment xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very schweet! Thanks for sharing, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! that is so adorable and you make it sound so easy! I need to definetly try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy,I just found your blog and I LOVE it. I join and put you under my favorites!!!!!!!!

    I think I could make that very cute mat. I love it. I am going to try it and see if I can do it!!!

    I have a blog also but I am new at it, my husband set me up and I really enjoy blogging and finding gals like you and their blogs, so I hope you can check out my blog and let me know what you think.

    I can't wait for your next post.

    Blessings to a new friend,
    Hugs,
    Tricia
    Hillcrest Home prims

    ReplyDelete
  15. How neat! Girl, you make it look so simple! I know I won't have time to get one done for Valentine's Day, but I'm going to print out your directions and make one for every holiday! Thanks for the wonderful idea!!

    Have a blessed week, my friend~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!