Monday, 14 December 2009

Our favorite dessert recipe


Happy Monday, one and all! Hope you enjoyed your weekend. As I said in my last post, I was going to a family gathering on Sat. evening. Well, we had a great time meeting up with family and enjoyed a fabulous feast of good things to eat. One of the things I was asked to make by special request was my pavlova dessert. It always goes down well with everyone. So here's the recipe, should you care to try it - it's sweet but light!

Ingredients;

4 egg whites
8 oz caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
whipped cream and fruit to decorate

Simply whisk the 4 egg whites until stiff - this usually takes about 3 mins.Next sift in HALF of the sugar, the cornflour and then add the vanilla essence.
Whisk again for approx 2 mins until mixture is glossy in appearance.
Now add the remainder of the sugar but this time gently FOLD in with a spatula.

You are now ready to place mixture onto an ovenproof plate covered in greaseproof baking parchment.
Spread out evenly.Place in the oven for 50 - 60 mins but keep a close watch on it that it doesn't brown too much. It should be crisp on the outside and a light golden color.

Don't worry it will crack and sink a little after it is removed from the oven.
I flip it over carefully as the base gives a smoother surface on which to spread the whipped cream.Decorate with fruit of your choice. I used strawberries and sliced kiwi fruit for a Christmas look.
Now you're ready to enjoy it.Sometimes I also grate chocolate over it too for an extra touch of decadence!
Have a good week,
Best wishes


9 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! Thank you. I've seen a very similar looking dessert on a Norwegian blog but she didn't post the recipe. I've been really wanting to make it. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yummy Christine! So glad you had a nice time with family over the weekend!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious but I'm wondering what caster sugar is? Is that like powdered sugar? Your photos are great too.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcia, caster sugar is a fine grade white sugar, not as fine as powdered sugar but not as coarse as granulated sugar.
    Hope this helps as I'm not sure what your equivalent would be in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just googled it and found that it is sold as superfine sugar in the USA.
    What would we do without google?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is always our favorite dessert too. Except I am, as always lazy and do it in the mirco wave x x x Really looks good........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, this looks delicious! I'm adding it to my list of goodies to try this year. Is vanilla essence the same as our vanilla extract?
    blessings~ Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birgit I think vanilla extract would be the same. Hope you find it works well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!