Thursday, 5 November 2009

Burning Candles

I'm just popping in for a quick post about burning candles safely which have a candle hugger around them - a question raised wisely by Parsley - thanks!
I have candle jars in a couple of different sizes and at different stages of use so I tried them out to make sure they are good to use with woolfelt wrapped around them.
This first one is pretty new and the jar is taller than the size of the wraparound so it burnt away merrily for an hour with no problems.Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't burn candles for more than an hour at any one time as I'm wary of leaving them any longer in case the glass cracks.
The next candle I used is much older and about half used. It's in a smaller jar and I did notice that the sides of the jar were quite warm - not hot, but I still felt it was OK to leave it a bit longer but I personally wouldn't leave it more than an hour.
I have a friend who tells me that one of her customers bought a very well known brand candle jar and it cracked whilst burning so I'd rather be safe than sorry. So hope that helps and I'd be grateful for any other tips and advice.
Have a safe day!
Best wishes

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering my question. I love your candle cozies.

    I'm a candle FREAK! Burn them often. I've never had a glass jar candle break. I did have a horrible experience with GEL candles. The whole thing set aflame. Scary. We couldn't blow it out.

    I only use wax candles now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about being careful with those candle huggers. Just to be on the safe side, they should never be left unattended. Wool and woolfelt are a little safer than other fabrics to use for the huggers though. Wool won't burst into flame. It's more like a smoldering burn...and the rayon in woolfelt would just melt into a goopy mess.
    Good post though. You can never be too safe with burning candles.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I didn't know that about the jar being able to break! Now I will pay a little more attention to them now, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent information. I love to burn candles , especially this time of the year.
    Blessings, GG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your candle huggers Christine...will make some myself when I have some free time. Just wanted to mention that candles have a memory and if you don't let them burn long enough to melt the wax to the edge of the container on the first burn, then they will burn into a tunnel shape after that, leaving wax around the jar. I also had a bad experience with a very well known brand turning into a flame thrower and cracking the container, so I never leave them unattended now either! I must admit to being a real fan of wax melts in a burner...I adore the instant scent they give your home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine, I love finding beautiful blogs x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow interesting post ! never have had a candle jar break on me. I also only burn candles in rooms where we are. Now I did have a liquid potpourri burner catch fire and it burnt my great grandmothers step back hutch ! I had it sitting on the flat area and the tea light caught the bottom on fire somehow and it left a pretty good size burn area =( I got the burner from WalMart. I called them immediatly as it really upset me and they gave me the run around. An attorney from the manufacturer called me a few days later and said they felt that their product wasnt defective and that maybe it was the tea light that was defective. I finally gave up and now my hutch bears a burn mark. I only use electric ones now and I never set anything on my hutch or any other item I dont want an accident to happen on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, one time i was burning a candle in an old mismatched drinking glass. when the candle got close to the glass bottom - crraacckkkk. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for expressing an interest - kind thoughts always appreciated!